WC reviews Success Program for at-risk students
- Notice: Undefined index: taxonomy_term in similarterms_taxonomy_node_get_terms() (line 518 of /home/fayettecountynew/public_html/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
- Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in similarterms_list() (line 221 of /home/fayettecountynew/public_html/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
- Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in similarterms_list() (line 222 of /home/fayettecountynew/public_html/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
WC reviews Success Program
for at-risk students
“Teachers are excited about the program, and I think it will make a difference to the students,” said West Central guidance counselor Steve Milder at Monday’s regular board meeting of the Success Program for at-risk students being implemented.
Thirty-four high school students have been identified as being at-risk and will take part in one of two areas: Success Classroom or Success Coaching. Instructors in both areas are encouraged to empower their students and help them develop lifelong skills.
The Success Classroom will be group-oriented, but teachers are encouraged to make individual connections with students, as well.
Success Coaching will be a one-on-one program with time to develop a working relationship.
Students and teachers will be paired up based on future plans, goals, interests, and schedules.
Cathy Timmerman, K-8 principal, updated the board that the preschool application was approved by the state. Funding will be released for the 2014-2015 school year based on the October 2013 certified enrollment.
Superintendent Stuart Fuhs informed the board that the district has been unable to secure a bid for bread and has made arrangements for its deliveries to be made to the Oelwein school district. At this time, kitchen staff will be required to drive to Oelwein twice a week to pick up the orders.
Fuhs has also been in contact with Struxture, and the plans for the school renovations are progressing. He reviewed flooring surfaces that are a possibility in the new gymnasium, which will be built with either a fully synthetic product or a combination of wood and the synthetic material.
The resignation of assistant varsity softball coach Tyler Wedemeier was approved as presented. The contract for Darren Lockhart as the varsity boys’ basketball coach was approved as presented. A short-term contract for Rich Scheffel was also approved.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the Alternative High School Agreement between Oelwein CSD and West Central CSD.
• Approved the substitute teaching list.
• Approved the first reading of the board policy 800 series.
• Approved the second reading of the board policy 300 series.
• Approved the auto and health occupation consortiums with NICC.
• Approved the concurrent enrollment contract with NICC.
The next regular meeting of the West Central school board will take place at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 9.